From LDS.org we find the following information about the gift of discernment. It's worthy of our ponder since we are in a critical time in the age of the world and in great need of spiritual gifts to protect our homes and families. The gifts of the Spirit are of the greatest gifts and blessings of God.
To understand or know something through the power of the Spirit. The gift of discernment is one of the gifts of the Spirit. It includes perceiving the true character of people and the source and meaning of spiritual manifestations.
- Man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart:1 Sam. 16:7;
- Wo unto them that call evil good:Isa. 5:20; ( 2 Ne. 15:20; )
- The things of God are spiritually discerned:1 Cor. 2:14;
- To some people is given the gift of discerning of spirits:1 Cor. 12:10;
- Ammon could discern his thoughts:Alma 18:18, 32;
- The small voice did pierce them that did hear:3 Ne. 11:3;
- That ye may not be deceived, seek the best gifts:D&C 46:8, 23;
- Church leaders are given power to discern the gifts of the Spirit:D&C 46:27;
- That body which is filled with light comprehendeth all things:D&C 88:67;
- Moses beheld the earth, discerning it by the Spirit of God:Moses 1:27;